Schmidt Family

Home Forums Bukovina Forum Schmidt Family

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      ckullman@gmail.com
      Participant

Hello,

I’ve been researching my great grandmother’s family (Schmidt) for the last 10 years.

My 6th Great Grandfather Johann Jakob Schmidt and his family (b. 1754 Neunkirchen am Potzberg, Saarland, Germany, d. 1798 Milleschoutz, Bukovina) along with his brother Johann Philipp and his family emigrated from Germany in 1783 during the Josephine colonization period.

They settled in Neu Sandez, Galicia in 1783, then moved to Chelwice, Galicia between 1787 and 1791, and then to Milleschoutz, Bukovina sometime between 1791 and 1796. My 5th Great Grandfather Johann Adam Schmidt was born in 1791 in Chelwice, Galicia.

The Schmidt family were mainly farmers and miners. Johann Jakob’s first son Johann Jacob died in a mining accident in a silver mine in 1802 at only 20 years old.

In 1817 Johann Adam Schmidt and his family, along with the Ritter, Richter, Mueller, Presser families and a soldier named Carl Wild emigrated to Naslawtscha, Bessarabia, and were some of the first families to set up the colony.

I am related to the above mentioned Presser and Mueller families as well.

I can only imagine the turmoil many families faced while moving to new lands. In the span of 34 years the Schmidt family had lived in 5 different locations.

Even though my family only lived in Bukovina for a short span, between 21 and 26 years, I find it a fascinating place and I am happy to be a member of this society. I’m hoping to learn more and hopefully find some distant relatives.

Chris Kullman

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.